Chess In The Schools
A Message From Ms. Stacey Ross - PS 131's Substance Abuse Prevention/Intervention Specialist (SAPIS)
Chess Tournament Results
Chess Tournament at MS 390X - November 19, 2022
Congratulations to our PS 131 Chess Team and coaches, Ms. Stacey Ross and Mr. Anthony from Chess in the Schools! At the MS 390 Chess Tournament in the Bronx, our Chess Team won the 1st Place Team Trophy for the Elementary division. In addition to our 1st Place Team trophy, three students (Dylan, Jerry, and James) were awarded individual trophies based on their standing among the division's participants and seven students (John, Eric, Michelle, Darwin, Jayden, Alvin, and Dechlin) were awarded individual medals. What is especially amazing is that of the 14 team members who participated, this was the very first tournament for 12 of them! They are looking forward to their next tournament which will be on January 28, 2023 in Queens.
Learn About the Chess in the Schools Program
At Chess in the Schools, they believe in the power of chess to change lives. To date, they have taught more than 500,000 of New York City's most underserved children, inspiring them to greater achievement. Each day, they are proud to help kids grow, one move at a time. Their impact is demonstrated by classroom teachers responses to our annual survey:
- 99% Chess had a meaningful positive impact on my students.
- 95% Practicing chess increased students' self-esteem.
- 96% Chess enriched students' social skills.
- 98% Chess developed students' analytical and logical skills.
- 96% Chess improved my students' math skills.
- 98% Girls and boys are equally interested in chess in my class.
- 99% Want Chess in the Schools in their class next year.
To Learn More: https://chessintheschools.org/programs/#0